Jakob James Nowell is a singer and songwriter famous for being the lead singer of the band named Law. He is also known for being the only son of late American singer and guitarist, Bradley Nowell.
Early Life of Jakob James Nowell
- Jakob James Nowell was born on June 25, 1995, in Long Beach, California, USA.
- He is the only son of Bradley and his wife, Troy Dendekker.
- He has three half siblings from his mother’s marriage with Keith ‘Kiki’ Holmes; Erica Angel, Mary Jane, and Rudi Holmes.
Engaged to Ashlyn Zeda
- The 26-year-old, Jakob James Nowell is engaged to Ashlyn Zeda.
- On September 22, 2019, the pair got engaged after Jakob went down on one knee in front of an audience on stage at Minor League Music Festival, LA Country Fair.
- They have been dating since 2014.
Following Father’s Footsteps
- Jakob James Nowell is also a musician like his father.
- During his childhood days, he learned guitar from his maternal grandfather.
- He is currently the lead singer of the band, LAW.
- He founded the band in 2013 alongside Nick Aguilar (Drums), Aidan Palacios (Guitar), and Logun Spellacy (Bass).
- LAW released their first album, There and Back Again on November 23, 2018.
Battle with Drug and Alcohol Addiction
- Jakob James Nowell was once addicted to alcohol and drugs.
- At the age of 12, he started drinking and that habit stuck with him for around a decade.
- The documentary movie, The Long Way Back: The Story of Todd “Z-Man” Zalkins shows his struggle with addiction.
- Todd Zalkins, a member of Sublime, helped him overcome his addiction. Zalkins also had addiction problems but he freed himself with prescription pain killers.
Life is very different, and it’s so much f***ing better. But for the longest time, it was a struggle. It was fun. A lot of people say this — it was fun, and then it was fun with problems, then it was just problems.Jakob talks about his drug addiction with Billboard!
- Nowell is now helping others to sober up.
- In 2017, Jakob along with his family founded the Nowell Family Foundation to help musicians seeking treatment for addiction.
- Currenlty Kellie Nowell (Jakob’s aunt) is serving as the executive director of the foundation.
Parents’ were Married for a Week
- Bradley Nowell and Troy Dendekker were married for only a week.
- They shared their vows in a Hawaiian-themed wedding in Las Vegas on May 18, 1996.
- Unfortunately, just a week after their marriage, Bradley passed away.
- The pair had first met in 1994 and started dating soon after.
- After several months, Troy became pregnant and welcomed Jakob in 1995.
Death of Bradley Nowell
- On May 25, 1996, Jakob lost his father.
- He was just 11 months old.
- His dad died at the age of 28 due to a heroin overdose at the Ocean View Motel in San Francisco.
- Bud Gaugh, one of his band members, found him unconcious. He called the paramedics but Nowell was sno more.
- His body was cremated and his ashes were scattered in his favorite surfing spot in Surfside, California.
For more updates, subscribe to ConciseMag.